See the Candy Bomber Memorial Video!
the Candy Bomber Highlights
Date: May 20th & 21st, 2022
If you ever wonder how much difference one person can make in the world all you have to do is look at the life and legacy of Col. Gail S. Halvorsen, The Berlin Candy Bomber. Thousands gathered in Provo and Spanish Fork on May 20th & 21st to celebrate the change he made in the world when he shared two sticks of gum at the fence around Berlin’s Templehof Airport in 1948.
The two day celebration began at the Provo Airport with tours of the Spirit of Freedom is a World War II era C-54 that has been lovingly restored by the Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation and a C-17 that was renamed The Spirit of the Candy Bomber during the event.
GAIL S. HALVORSEN
THE CANDY BOMBER
Colonel Gall S. Halvorsen is a light to the world. He brought that light to the children of Berlin during the Berlin Airlift and became known to them as Uncle Wiggly Wings and The Candy Bomber. He has been sharing that light with children the world over since then with his message of ‘service before self, attitude, gratitude, and the power of little things adding up to big things.”
Learn more about his legacy and how you can help keep it alive.
Operation VittlesOperation Little Vittles
Miles flown during the airlift, almost the distance from the earth to the sun
Tons of food and fuel delivered to Berlin
Pounds of candy dropped
Parachutes used in Operation Little Vittles
Gail's Legacy of Service
The airlift taught Gail to look outside himself and find ways to bring hope to others. The Foundation continues that legacy by bringing his principles of gratitude and service before self to schools and community organizations throughout the valley, along with giving students opportunities in STEM and aviation education.
- The Foundation works to continue Col. Gail Halvorsen’s mission to share the values that have led his life or 100 years… “gratitude, hope, service before self and little things add up to big things.”
- The Foundation carries on Gail’s legacy of service in the community through service projects, community programs and in partnership with the Civil Air Patrol, Spanish Fork City and the Spanish Fork Airport.
- The Foundation is working to fulfill Gail’s mission to educate the next generation of aviators through the Mobile STEM Learning Center and other programs in elementary schools.
- The Foundation carries on Gail’s legacy of inspiration through our Speakers Bureau and the Halvorsen Heritage Center.
Giving Students Wings
The Gail S. Halvorsen Foundation seeks to share Col. Halvorsen’s love of aviation and learning with motivational exposure and hands-on aviation themed STEM experiences with students in a variety of ways.
- Classroom Presentations
- Speaker and Presenters
- Mobile STEM Learning Center visits to your neighborhood or school
- Summer Aviation Camps
- Tours & Programs at the Halvorsen Heritage Center at the Spanish Fork Airport
- Educational Resources available to parents and educators