Pillar of the Valley
Colonel Gail S. Halvorsen was chosen to be honored posthumously as one of two recipients of the Pillar of the Valley Award. Since 2011, this award has been given by the Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce to individuals who have “made extraordinary contributions to the business, civic, social, educational, and cultural climate of Utah Valley.” This year the event took place on April 12, 2023, at the Utah Valley Convention Center. Members of Colonel Halvorsen’s family were present to receive the award in his stead.See the Event Details
GAIL S. HALVORSEN
THE CANDY BOMBER
Colonel Gall S. Halvorsen is a light to the world. He brought that light to the children of Berlin during the Berlin Airlift and became known to them as Uncle Wiggly Wings and The Candy Bomber. He has been sharing that light with children the world over since then with his message of “service before self, attitude, gratitude, and the power of little things adding up to big things.”
Learn more about his legacy and how you can help keep it alive.
Operation VittlesOperation Little Vittles
Miles flown during the airlift, almost the distance from the earth to the sun
Tons of food and fuel delivered to Berlin
Pounds of candy dropped
Parachutes used in Operation Little Vittles
Gail's Legacy of Service
The airlift taught Gail to look outside himself and find ways to bring hope to others. The Foundation continues that legacy by bringing his principles of gratitude and service before self to schools and community organizations throughout Utah Valley, along with giving students opportunities in STEM and aviation education.
- The Foundation works to continue Col. Gail Halvorsen’s mission to share the values that have led his life of over 100 years— “gratitude, hope, service before self and little things add up to big things.”
- The Foundation carries on Gail’s legacy of service in the community through service projects, community programs and in partnership with the Civil Air Patrol, Spanish Fork City and the Spanish Fork Airport.
- The Foundation is working to fulfill Gail’s mission to educate the next generation of aviators through the Mobile STEM Learning Center and other programs in elementary schools.
- The Foundation carries on Gail’s legacy of inspiration through our Speakers Bureau and the Halvorsen Heritage Center.
Giving Students Wings
The Gail S. Halvorsen Foundation seeks to share Col. Halvorsen’s love of aviation and learning with motivational exposure and hands-on aviation themed STEM experiences with students in a variety of ways.
- Classroom Presentations
- Speaker and Presenters
- Mobile STEM Learning Center visits to your neighborhood or school
- Summer Aviation Camps
- Tours & Programs at the Halvorsen Heritage Center at the Spanish Fork Airport
- Educational Resources available to parents and educators