WE ARE STEM
Celebrating Utah’s first Week of STEM
The Halvorsen Foundation is proud to partner with and support Governor Spencer Cox’s first annual “Week of STEM.”
“There is such a demand for STEM,” Gov. Cox said. “Fifteen of the twenty fastest-growing jobs in the Beehive State require science, technology, engineering or math skills.”
Building those needed STEM skills is at the heart of the educational efforts of the Halvorsen Foundation. Col. Gail S. Halvorsen was a pioneer in many areas of STEM, including his work on the Titan rockets that helped launch our space program.
GAIL S. HALVORSEN
THE CANDY BOMBER
Colonel Gall S. Halvorsen is a light to the world. He brought that light to the children of Berlin during the Berlin Airlift and became known to them as Uncle Wiggly Wings and The Candy Bomber. He has been sharing that light with children the world over since then with his message of ‘service before self, attitude, gratitude, and the power of little things adding up to big things.”
Learn more about his legacy and how you can help keep it alive.
Operation VittlesOperation Little Vittles
Miles flown during the airlift, almost the distance from the earth to the sun
Tons of food and fuel delivered to Berlin
Pounds of candy dropped
Parachutes used in Operation Little Vittles
Gail's Legacy of Service
The airlift taught Gail to look outside himself and find ways to bring hope to others. The Foundation continues that legacy by bringing his principles of gratitude and service before self to schools and community organizations throughout the valley, along with giving students opportunities in STEM and aviation education.
- The Foundation works to continue Col. Gail Halvorsen’s mission to share the values that have led his life or 100 years… “gratitude, hope, service before self and little things add up to big things.”
- The Foundation carries on Gail’s legacy of service in the community through service projects, community programs and in partnership with the Civil Air Patrol, Spanish Fork City and the Spanish Fork Airport.
- The Foundation is working to fulfill Gail’s mission to educate the next generation of aviators through the Mobile STEM Learning Center and other programs in elementary schools.
- The Foundation carries on Gail’s legacy of inspiration through our Speakers Bureau and the Halvorsen Heritage Center.
Giving Students Wings
The Gail S. Halvorsen Foundation seeks to share Col. Halvorsen’s love of aviation and learning with motivational exposure and hands-on aviation themed STEM experiences with students in a variety of ways.
- Classroom Presentations
- Speaker and Presenters
- Mobile STEM Learning Center visits to your neighborhood or school
- Summer Aviation Camps
- Tours & Programs at the Halvorsen Heritage Center at the Spanish Fork Airport
- Educational Resources available to parents and educators